Thursday, September 3, 2009

Crete Update

Tesco Insurance insisted that I visit a private hospital in Chania, to get re-assessed and stay overnight – X rays, CT scan etc. The hospital was like a hotel, top food and caring people and a doctor that kept you in the loop. They found I had 2 clean breaks of my left leg - bi polar breaks so I am in plaster now for 6 weeks. The public hospital said that I had two small fractures and nothing to worry about. I was given the option of plaster or an operation, put a few screws in and have no plaster. My back is wrecked but will be ok. The fractures of the vertebrae are on the end of the vertebrae - soft tissue to a certain extent and will be fixed in time - maybe another 10 days of taking it easy. I now have crutches and Doctor has told me to move a short distance every day. I also have a harness contraption to support my upper body so that I don't bend forward - 10 days on that if I sit up or walk.

Coming back in the ambulance yesterday afternoon the kind drivers seemed to hit every pothole going and seemed to be in a hurry as any car that slowed them down was given the sirens and told to move over. On arrival they asked me to walk. I virtually collapsed in the heat of the afternoon and was lucky not to pass out. Sweating profusely, with my head spinning I demanded a chair to sit down. I would definitely have keeled over. Who would have said that a journey of less than 10 yards would have been so exhaustive? They then decided that I could use a wheelchair and that they would carry me up the steps! To put a nicely - initially lazy ambulance men!

This morning I attempted to get to the bathroom. I made it with a few wobbles on the way. It’s not far mind – five crutch steps. Shouting. ‘Mike’ to help. He decides to take a photo. Mike has a new nickname: the stool pigeon. He sits on a chair and coos at me. Left:: he gets his daily pay of 10 euros


Movement Agenda for today September 3rd 2009:

a.m. walk to bathroom 5 steps

p.m. sit up for lunch 2 steps

evening – move outside and sit in alcove – maybe play backgammon! 5 steps

So big steps to recovery in the last few days but I know it

will take time. I go back to the hospital on the 11th. They will cut open the plaster so that I can fly sometime after the 11th.

Best to fly after 9:11!

Inshallah


Bookmark and Share
www.thetwofatcyclists.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment